John Seddon in Freedom From Command and Control identified three things that employees need to get the results you’re looking for:
1. Clear Instructions and purpose – what does the ‘right result’ look like?
2. Methods that work and make sense
3. The willingness to do the work well
I’ve added 2 more:
4. Infrastructure – all the appropriate equipment
5. The right ‘work environment’ – encouragement, freedom from fear and management support
If you get number 1, 2 4 & 5 in place, you’ll have much better luck motivating people. Imagine yourself working in your own organization – do you have everything you need? Is the work environment conducive to people going ‘above and beyond’? Does Management treat staff the way they want staff to treat customers?
Maybe ‘People’ aren’t the problem – have a hard look at what you’re expecting from them using what they have to work with…
Know Quality, Know Profits…No Quality, No Profits
If you’d like to see how we’ve enhanced the ability to manage your work environment to support your people, schedule a demo and we’ll see if it can make your ‘ISO life’ simpler!